Solar Rewards Community
Show your support for a solar garden.
Support a solar garden with nothing on your roof and no hands-on maintenance through Xcel Energy’s Solar*Rewards Community® program. This is an easy way for residential and business customers to subscribe to a solar garden, and get paid for the solar energy produced. You still buy and use energy from Xcel Energy as you always have, but you’ll receive payment for your portion of the garden’s solar energy produced as a credit on your bill.
You may or may not save money by participating in solar gardens - subscription agreements are between you and the garden operator. And while we support and administer the program, we cannot advise you on the potential savings or other aspects of your solar garden subscription.
Are you a solar developer or installer? Access our Renewable Developer Resource Center.
- View the What should you know before subscribing? (PDF) (via CERTS) document to learn more about solar garden subscriptions along with helpful things to know before you subscribe.
- If you’re interested in subscribing now, we suggest contacting several of the garden operators that offer gardens in your home county or adjacent county. They’ll work with you to understand the pricing and terms of their subscription contracts and complete any necessary participation paperwork.
- You will continue to be billed normally, but will receive credits on your bill based on your solar subscription.
- If you have questions, contact the solar gardens program team at email@example.com.
- More than 300 MW of solar gardens at 80+ locations are currently proceeding through the design and construction process. Many more are expected in the coming months, putting the program on track to become the nation’s largest community solar program by the end of the year.
- Bill credits are based on all-inclusive rates, which include base rates plus fuel-cost charges and extra fees for special projects that altogether make the cost you pay per kWh go up or down each year. Since 2000, these all-inclusive rates have risen an average of 3.3 percent annually (source: Edison Electric Institute). View the Average Xcel Energy Minnesota Retail Rate Change 2000-2015 (JPG), which depicts our annual change. For more information on our rates visit the Rates, Rights and Service Rules page.
- Xcel Energy’s role in the program is to hook up the gardens to our electric grid to deliver the solar energy for use by all of our customers. Currently, we are working with solar operators to determine whether individual solar gardens can interconnect into our electric distribution system. Some sites are moving into the construction phase and are expected to come online by the end of 2016. (Please note that approvals from other authorities may also be required).
- Solar Rewards Community subscribers’ bill credits are funded through the fuel-cost charge line that’s included on all customers’ Xcel Energy bills.
Gardens Underway by County
View the MN Solar Gardens in Progress
** Please Note: If you are experiencing issues viewing the .XLSX file from your computer please right click the link and select “Save Link As…” to save, download, and view the spreadsheet from your desktop.
Garden Application Status by County (PDF)
Forms and Resources
Subscriber FAQs (PDF)
What should you know before subscribing? (PDF) (via CERTS)
Garden operator disclosure checklist for subscribers (PDF) (via CERTS)
Political Subdivision or Agency Guidelines (PDF)
Bill Credit Timing for SRC (PDF)
Subscriber Agency Agreement (PDF)
Eligible Billing Rates for SRC MN (PDF)
Solar Rewards Community Contract (PDF)
Sample Bill Credit (PDF)