Customer Support

Energy Assistance

Through the efforts of state and local agencies, low-income advocates and Xcel Energy’s personal accounts department, our customers can get help with bill payment problems and gain access to weatherization services for their homes.

Each year, we contribute millions of dollars to energy assistance programs throughout our service area.

Here's a snapshot of the ways we support energy assistance programs:

  • Public policy and advocacy supporting efforts on the state and federal level to increase funding for Low-Income Energy Assistance Programs (LIHEAP)
  • Corporate contributions to state and local energy assistance agencies and energy weatherization programs
  • Encouraging our customers to contribute to statewide fuel funds via their Xcel Energy bills
  • In-kind marketing and public relations to support energy assistance organizations and low-income advocates

Get Help Paying Your Bill

If you or anyone you know needs a helping hand with energy bills, please call us at 1-800-895-4999. You can find out about payment arrangements and available state and federal financial energy assistance for eligible households. Energy Assistance helps pay home heating costs. Households with the lowest incomes and highest energy costs receive the greatest benefit.

  • Households who are at or below 50 percent of the state median income are eligible
  • Size of grant is based on household size, income, fuel type and energy usage
  • Households with the lowest income and highest fuel costs receive the highest grants
  • Federally funded through U.S. Department of Human Services
  • Funds are available for renters or homeowners

Energy Assistance Portal (EAP)

The Energy Assistance Portal (EAP) is available only to energy assistance agencies: a) With a valid state vendor agreement, and b) That have registered with Xcel Energy. Energy assistance agencies can use this portal to view account information, billing and payment history, premises and usage history, and to pledge funds to the account. Energy assistance agencies can access customer information only when a customer data-sharing release is on file and only for the purpose of pledging funds.

Low Income Discount

As required by law, Xcel Energy offers a $15 discount for low-income customers every 30 days. This program is only available to seniors, 62 years old and/or disabled.

Reach Out for Warmth Fuel Fund (ROFW)

The Reach Out for Warmth fuel fund is designed to assist low-income households and those just above income guidelines.

  • Funded from corporate and individual donations matched by federal funds
  • Assists households with incomes too high to qualify for Energy Assistance
  • Provides additional help when federal funds are not enough to meet household's needs
  • Eligibility is 60 percent of state median income

State of Minnesota, local, and federal government funds all contribute to the ROFW program. The State’s Energy Assistance Program (EAP) as well as LIHEAP are major contributors to the program.

The Reach Out for Warmth utility and heating bill assistance program is funded from corporate and individual donations. Dial 1-800-657-3710.

Resources to help manage your bill

Guide to Home Energy Savings (PDF)

Energy Saving Tip

Install ceiling fans to keep cool air circulating so you can turn down your air conditioner. Still, make sure to turn off your fan when you leave the room.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Install carbon monoxide detectors and annually hire a qualified contractor to inspect your home for proper ventilation.

Xcel Energy MaritzCX

We'd welcome your feedback!

Thank you for visiting Xcel Energy. You have been selected to participate in a brief customer satisfaction survey to let us know how we can improve your experience.

The survey is designed to measure your entire experience, so please look for it at the conclusion of your visit

This survey is conducted by an independent company MaritzCX, on behalf of the site you are visiting.

Privacy Policy