You're in control
As an Xcel Energy business customer, you can pay your bill directly from your account via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
EFT helps you minimize cash management efforts while maximizing your use of funds.
EFT provides quick and convenient electronic transactions (also called EDI-820 payments) using the Automated Clearing House (ACH) network, part of the Federal Reserve Bank system.
Electronic payments offer heightened control over timing and amount of payments. Here are a few more reasons to consider EFT:
- Save time—everything's quick, convenient, and electronic
- Eliminate costs of check printing, writing, and mailing
- Reduce reconciliation costs related to filing, matching, storing, and researching
- Provide a pre-determined settlement date
- Provide a fully traceable acknowledge-transaction receipt
- Improve security by eliminating mailing and handling of checks
- Protect transactions by using passwords, relationship validation, and audit control
To quality for EFT payments, you must be a business customer of Xcel Energy who can transmit CTX formatted payments through your own software or via a payment processor, such as a bank.
How to get started
If you're not familiar with EFT:
Electronic transactions are made using the Automated Clearing House (ACH) network. EFT files have two components: payment instructions and remittance detail.
Follow these easy steps to get started:
- Obtain the capability to transmit CTX formatted EDI-820 payments by either: a) purchasing your own software; or b) working with a payment processor like, such as your bank. For assistance locating CTX software, contact your bank or the National Automated Clearing House Association (NACHA) at 703-561-1100.
- Complete the Customer Information Form and fax it to us at 806-640-6585 or mail it to the address provided on the form. The form is also available by contacting our Business Solutions Center at 1-800-481-4700.
- We will send you our banking information for your service location.
- When you receive your bill, access your bank and Xcel Energy's bank through CTX software.
- Your electronic payment approval and remittance detail will be forwarded to your bank, which in turn releases your funds to Xcel Energy's bank.
- Our bank credits our account and sends us a payment file with your remittance detail.
- The payment file is extracted and we post your payment to your account numbers provided in the remittance detail.
If you're familiar with EFT:
- Ensure your company has the capability to transmit CTX formatted EDI-820 payments through your own purchased software or through a payment processor/bank.
- Complete the customer information form and return as indicated. The form is also available by calling 1-800-481-4700.