Xcel Energy’s workforce is a critical contributor to our company’s success, and our employees know the importance of their work to the communities we serve. While retirement will play a significant role in changing the composition of our workforce over the next 10 years, these changes enable us to find new ways to engage employees, implement more efficient and effective processes, and build an inclusive and diverse team-centered culture that is ready to respond to the increasingly competitive energy industry. As we strengthen our talent acquisition, development and management strategies at Xcel Energy, we never lose sight of our No. 1 priority—providing a safe work environment for all employees, every day of the year.
- Xcel Energy continues its Journey to Zero workplace injuries, with employees achieving their seventh consecutive best-ever safety performance. Injuries were down 21 percent in 2014 compared to 2013.
- In 2014, 82 percent of employees participated in Xcel Energy’s annual workforce engagement survey, with 82 percent of the respondents providing favorable responses to overall engagement.
- Employees volunteered more than 16,000 hours in 2014 supporting more than 1,300 community organizations through our Volunteer Paid Time Off program. Each full-time employee is allowed to use up to 40 hours annually to support community efforts. In addition, more than 200 employees participate on nonprofit and community boards.
- New Hire Connection launched in 2014, a two-day, in-person orientation for all new employees. The program provides new hires with important information about the company and encourages them to develop lasting connections with others.
- We continue to rank favorably as one of G.I Job’s Top 100 Military Friendly Employers, which recognizes companies in the top 2 percent of employers dedicated to hiring and supporting the nation’s veterans. For 2015, we made the list for the sixth consecutive year and are ranked 22, up from 45 in 2014.