Energy efficiency is a cornerstone of our clean energy strategy. Today we help customers manage their energy consumption through one of the largest energy saving program portfolios in the United States. Customers save money, and we avoid emissions and the need to purchase or produce additional power.
Since we began consistently tracking energy efficiency results in 1992, we estimate our customers have saved enough electricity to help us avoid building more than sixteen 250-megawatt generating plants. We estimate that in 2013, the savings achieved through our energy efficiency programs helped prevent producing about 600,000 tons of CO2 for the year, as well as other emissions. With results like this, energy efficiency is proving to be one of the most cost-effective ways for our company to reduce emissions and meet growing clean air requirements.
|State||Spending||Electric Conservation & Load Management||Gas||Gas Conservation|
|Participants||Generator kW||Generator kWh||Participants||Dth Saved|
|1 Achievements listed in this table are preliminary for 2013.|
Read about our energy efficiency programs for customers.
Conservation at Xcel Energy Facilities
We believe it’s important for Xcel Energy to “walk the talk” when it comes to managing environmental impact by looking for opportunities to conserve at our own facilities. In 2008, Xcel Energy’s Property Services department developed the Sustainable Facilities Management program to align its activities with the company’s commitment to the environment. For 2014, three teams have been organized to manage a number of environmental impacts associated with our buildings:
- Conservation Team
- Energy management
- Water conservation
- Environmental Safety Team
- Indoor air quality
- Water quality—well monitoring
- Green cleaning
- Site product safety—GREENGUARD Certified
- Lighting fixture and refrigerant compliance
- Sustainable Design Team
- LEED certification
The program’s accomplishments for 2013 include:
- Reducing annual electricity consumption by more than 1.2 million kilowatt-hours. Since we began the program in 2008, we have reduced annual electricity consumption by about 12.9 million kilowatt-hours at Xcel Energy facilities.
- Conserving natural gas use by more than 23,000 therms. Natural gas usage has been reduced by about 124,000 therms since 2011.
- Saving more than 220,000 gallons of water. Since 2010, we have saved about 3.7 million gallons of water at Xcel Energy office buildings and service centers.
- Developing an interactive training program as part of the corporate online curriculum to educate employees on simple steps they can take to reduce waste and energy use in the office.
- Conducting audits for code compliance within designated smoking areas.
- Completing well water compliance testing.
- Completing proactive Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) testing at six sites.
- Completing IAQ investigation testing at four sites.
- Creating a full inventory of T12 light fixtures with a plan to eliminate them by 2015.
- Creating a full inventory of R22 refrigerant used in heating and air conditioning systems with a plan to eliminate its use by 2022.
LEED Certified Facilities
We continue to seek LEED certification for some of our facilities. LEED is a U.S. Green Building Council certification program that recognizes sustainable building strategies and practices. To receive LEED certification, building projects satisfy prerequisites and earn points to achieve different levels of certification. LEED certification has four levels—Certified, Silver, Gold and Platinum—based on achievement in five areas: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environment quality.
The following projects are registered and awaiting final approval on certification:
- Greeley, Colo., Service Center, LEED Commercial Interiors
- Hugo, Minn., Training Center, LEED New Construction
- Faribault, Minn., Service Center, LEED Commercial Interiors
- Carlsbad, N.M., Service Center, LEED New Construction
|Building and location||Building size||Certification level||Highlights|
|1800 Larimer Street, Denver, Colo.||500,000 sq. ft.||LEED Commercial Interiors Platinum||
|Arvada Service Center, Arvada, Colo.||18,000 sq. ft.||LEED Existing Buildings Silver for Commercial Interiors||
|Ashland Service Center, Ashland, Wis.||34,500 sq. ft.||LEED Silver for New Construction||
|Alamosa Service Center, Alamosa, Colo.||24,000 sq. ft.||LEED Certified Commercial Interiors||
|Newport Service Center, Newport, Minn.||36,450 sq. ft.||LEED Certified for Commercial Interiors||
|Montrose Service Center, Montrose, Minn.||15,500 sq. ft.||LEED Certified for New Construction||
|Maple Grove Service Center, Fleet Services Building, Maple Grove, Minn.||32,200 sq. ft.||LEED Silver for New Construction||
Learn more about LEED certification.