Council on Diversity and Inclusion
The Council for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) was restructured late in 2011 and is now composed of leaders from each of our Employee Network Groups (ENGs). The goal is to improve collaboration between ENGs and engage them in helping address key business challenges at Xcel Energy. Some of the CDI’s initiatives to support our business priorities are outlined below.
Initiatives in support of Operating Effectiveness
- Focus on business challenges and opportunities
- Gain and enhance regional support for diversity and inclusion through partnerships with leaders and employees
- Support the focus to increase the number of ambassadors in the communities in which we live and serve
Initiatives in support of Engagement
- Host Xcel Energy leadership speaker series
- Expand ENG membership and involvement through special events
- Increase awareness by hosting tables in Xcel Energy facility lobbies
- Increase education by participating in the iFair/Knowledge Fairs and creating development tools and methods
- CDI Vision
- Be a diverse and inclusive culture
- CDI Mission
- Create and foster a culture of diversity and inclusion that drives employee engagement by recognizing both individual and group contributions in support of corporate goals. Promote an environment that recognizes, celebrates and embraces diverse cultures, interests, perspectives and experiences in the communities served by Xcel Energy.
Three major initiatives took place in 2012 to help promote diversity and inclusion:
- A video highlighting the importance of diversity and inclusion was produced and distributed across the company. The video featured 11 employees, including Xcel Energy Chairman, President and CEO Ben Fowke, giving personal accounts of what diversity and inclusion means to them.
- The Employee Network Groups Awareness Fair was attended by approximately 250 employees in Minneapolis and by 200 in Denver. The fair was an excellent way to build awareness and knowledge about the ENGs and provide information to employees interested in joining an ENG.
- We launched our first annual Diversity and Inclusion Week, a five-day event that spanned multiple locations, during which representatives from our nine ENGs participated in and led events.
About the Report
We published our first corporate responsibility report (formerly known as the Triple Bottom Line report) in April 2005, with the contents covering the 2004 calendar year, and we have published a similar report in each following year. Our report is based on Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G3 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines, the most widely used sustainability reporting framework in the world. Additionally, we incorporate the GRI’s Electric Utilities Sector Supplement indicators wherever possible.