Generation

Xcel Energy currently owns and operates 81 generating plants capable of producing 17,154 megawatts of power. About 66 percent of the electricity we provide customers is produced at these facilities; we purchase the other 34 percent through power-purchase agreements. As we work to modernize our infrastructure the resources on our system are changing. In Minnesota, we replaced some of our aging coal-fired plants with highly efficient natural gas combined-cycle units, and we have similar upgrades underway in Colorado. In Texas, our new Jones Unit 3 natural gas combustion turbine began producing power in 2011, just in time to meet customer demand during an extremely hot and challenging summer. Across our system, we have invested in emission controls on existing plants to dramatically reduce emissions while maintaining reliable, reasonably priced generation. Through power-purchase agreements and development of our own resources, we have continued to develop our renewable energy portfolio—the best in the nation. These projects are accomplished with support from stakeholders and through a resource planning process that assesses future customer energy requirements, the resources necessary to meet these needs and anticipated resource costs.

Find 2011 owned and purchased energy, along with our energy resource mix.

Learn more about Xcel Energy’s generating plants.

2011 Owned Generating Facilities »

About the Report

We published our first corporate responsibility report (formerly known as the Triple Bottom Line report) in April 2005, with the contents covering the 2004 calendar year, and we have published a similar report in each following year. Our report is based on Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G3 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines, the most widely used sustainability reporting framework in the world. Additionally, we incorporate the GRI's Electric Utilities Sector Supplement indicators wherever possible.

Read more

Details

About the Report