Recognition, Goals & Priorities
Corporate Social Responsibility Leadership
- Xcel Energy is included in the 2011-2012 Dow Jones Sustainability Index for North America, a leading index of companies considered best in class for corporate economic, environmental and social performance. This is the fifth year we have earned this honor.
- We received high marks from several new rating programs. Trust Across America™, a think tank dedicated to promoting and recognizing trustworthy business behavior, ranks Xcel Energy as the No. 2 most trustworthy company in the United States. Target Rock Advisors, LLC, in its first sustainability rankings and related stock indexes lists Xcel Energy No. 2 among high performing U.S. utilities.
Energy Efficiency Leadership
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency honored Xcel Energy with its most prestigious award for 2012, the ENERGY STAR Award for Sustained Excellence, which recognizes long-term commitment to protecting the environment through energy efficiency. For our company, the award recognizes the value we deliver to customers through our extensive energy efficiency programs, helping them save money and reduce environmental impact.
- Xcel Energy in 2011 received the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year award for helping increase market share of energy-efficient ENERGY STAR-qualified homes through comprehensive outreach, education and marketing programs. The award recognizes outstanding contributions to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by delivering information and services to customers to increase energy efficiency.
Renewable Energy Leadership
- For the seventh consecutive year, the American Wind Energy Association ranks Xcel Energy the No. 1 wind power provider in the United States. And our Windsource® program is one of the largest voluntary, green energy programs in the nation, based on the number of customers, according to the U.S. Department of Energy’s National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- The Solar Electric Power Association ranks us among the top-ten U.S. utilities for solar capacity.
- The Carbon Disclosure Project included Xcel Energy in its Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index for the fourth consecutive year. The listing recognizes the quality of our voluntary emissions reporting. The Project is an independent, non-profit organization that collects and makes public greenhouse gas emissions data from corporations around the globe.
- The American Carbon Registry honored Xcel Energy with its Utility Excellence award for outstanding achievement in reducing emissions. The nonprofit American Carbon Registry is a leading carbon offset program recognized for strong environmental integrity standards.
Local and Other Leadership
- The Energy Innovation Corridor was awarded the Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance's 2012 Inspiring Efficiency Innovation Award. Xcel Energy is an active partner in this clean energy and transportation project in the Twin Cities.
- The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy recognized our industrial energy efficiency programs with its Champions of Energy Efficiency award.
- The Women's Vision Foundation in Denver, Colo., honored Xcel Energy as Corporate Advocate for 2011 because of our support and practice of advancing employees through professional development and mentoring opportunities for men and women.
- Xcel Energy is the top corporate charitable giver among Colorado companies for the fourth consecutive year, according to the Denver Business Journal.
- Thorne Nature Experience (formerly Thorne Ecological Institute) in Boulder, Colo., presented its 2011 Corporate Award to Xcel Energy for our long-standing support of environmental education and commitment to environmental business practices.
- Momentum West, a nonprofit regional economic development organization in Wisconsin, honored Xcel Energy for strong leadership and support.
Challenges for the Future »
About the Report
We published our first corporate responsibility report (formerly known as the Triple Bottom Line report) in April 2005, with the contents covering the 2004 calendar year, and we have published a similar report in each following year. Our report is based on Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G3 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines, the most widely used sustainability reporting framework in the world. Additionally, we incorporate the GRI's Electric Utilities Sector Supplement indicators wherever possible.