Data Center Efficiency
Reduce energy costs for your new or existing data center facility in Colorado and Minnesota
Identify energy-saving strategies to earn rebates on your energy-efficient improvements to data centers or large-scale IT operations within Colorado and Minnesota. Ways to participate and start saving:
Planning on building a new data center or a major renovation at your existing facility? Check out our Data Center Design Assistance program to learn how you can take advantage of free energy modeling design services and rebates which can help you integrate energy savings into your plans.
Identify energy-saving opportunities at your existing data center:
- Sign up for a free data center walkthrough. Find out where you can save the most. A data center engineer will visit your facility and help you determine areas of focus which could provide you with the best energy-saving opportunities.
- Conduct an in-depth energy study. We offer study rebates which can cover up to 75% of the study cost, not to exceed $25,000. An energy expert will evaluate your existing data center and recommend energy-saving measures, provide cost estimates and identify rebate amounts. Many recommended improvements are easy to implement, financially attractive, and environmentally responsible.
- Earn rebates on improvements. When you make energy-efficient improvements, whether they're identified in a study or not, you can earn rebates:
- Data Center prescriptive rebates: Available for qualifying electronically commutated motor plug fans, plate and frame heat exchanges/waterside economizers, mini-splits for AC, and more.
- Data Center custom rebates: If your energy-saving project doesn't qualify for a prescriptive rebate, it may be eligible to earn $400 per kilowatt saved through our custom data center rebates.
- Lower up-front costs of improvements
- Boost ROI of your data management
- Reduce energy costs
How to get started
Sign up for a free data center walkthrough:
Contact your account manager or an energy efficiency specialist at 855-839-8862 to schedule an appointment. You can also sign up online below.
Sign Up Now
Earn data center prescriptive rebates:
- Purchase and install new qualifying equipment (see a list of qualifying equipment on the Prescriptive Rebate Application for Colorado or for Minnesota). You have 12 months from the equipment invoice date to apply for a Data Center Efficiency rebate.
- After the equipment has been installed, complete and submit the Prescriptive Rebate Application for Colorado or for Minnesota, per the requirements and instructions listed on the form.
- Submit your completed rebate application along with the original paid invoices to your Account Manager. You can also submit by email, by fax (800-311-0050), or by mail:
Energy Efficiency Specialist, Business Solutions Center
P.O. Box 8
Eau Claire, WI 54702-0008
You can also submit your prescriptive rebate application online!
Request funding for a Data Center study or preapproval for a custom rebate:
- To request Data Center study funding, fill out and submit the Study Preapproval Application. Use the Data Center Provider list included within our resources below as a guide to select a study provider. You can begin your study after you receive preapproval to move forward.
To request preapproval for a custom rebate, fill out and submit the Data Center Project Preapproval application. To be eligible for a custom rebate, you need to wait to purchase/order your equipment until after we've preapproved your project.
Contact your Xcel Energy account manager or an energy efficiency specialist at 855-839-8862 with any questions.
- Once you receive preapproval for either a study or a custom rebate, you can conduct the study or begin implementing your project.
- If you’ve chosen to do a study, we'll review the final study and you’ll receive your study rebate after we approve the study.
- After you implement your project (whether or not you’ve completed a study), submit your final project paperwork, including invoices, to receive your implementation rebate. If your facility is in Minnesota, you can complete your custom project pre-approval application online.
To qualify, you must:
- Be an electric business customer of Xcel Energy in Colorado or Minnesota.
- Have an existing data center you wish to upgrade or be designing a new data center.
- Prescriptive applications don't require pre-approval, but must meet our minimum requirements as stated in the rebate application.
- For Data Center equipment that doesn't qualify for our prescriptive rebate program, we offer rebates of up to $400 per kW of electricity saved through our data center custom project pre-approval application. All custom projects require pre-approval prior to purchase and installation.
Applications and Additional Resources