- My Account
Save Money & Energy
- Safety & Education
- Energy Partners
Our products and services differ based on state. Please select your state (or the state you're interested in) from the list to the left.
Why do our products and services differ based on state? Because our business is regulated by state. We have regulated operations in eight Western and Midwestern states. The different regulatory body for each state we serve determines what products and services we deliver in that state.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is known as the silent killer because you can’t smell, hear or see it. CO naturally occurs anytime fuel is burned, but it can turn deadly when the fuel burns incompletely or isn’t vented properly.
In the home, CO can be formed, for example, by open flames, space heaters, water heaters, blocked chimneys or vents, running a car or other motor inside a garage or a similar enclosed space.
To help prevent CO poisoning, hire a qualified contractor annually to inspect your home’s fuel burning appliances and venting systems for proper ventilation. Performing routine maintenance is advised, especially prior to the beginning of each year’s heating season.
A CO detector is a device that detects the presence of the carbon monoxide and sounds an alarm when CO levels develop. Because CO is colorless, odorless and tasteless, its presence is rarely, if ever, noticed and that makes a CO detector a valuable warning device
CO detectors should be centrally located and placed near each separate sleeping area. Placing them in the immediate vicinity of bedrooms helps prevent being overcome by poisoning while sleeping.
Purchase CO detectors that have battery backup and memory. Always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for installation, and replace the detectors’ batteries regularly. When batteries are low, the detector will beep or go off, but never assume the alarm is indicating a low battery. Always check the source of the alarm.
Also, learn to recognize the symptoms of CO poisoning and respond accordingly. If you or others in your family – including pets – all exhibit flu-like symptoms but feel better in fresh air, it could mean you have a CO problem. Other symptoms may vary from person to person depending on age and current health, and can range from headache, nausea and ringing in ears to lethargy or losing consciousness, as well as eye and skin irritation. If you experience these symptoms consistently, immediately seek medical help.