- My Account
Save Money & Energy
- Safety & Education
- Energy Partners
Our products and services differ based on state. Please select your state (or the state you're interested in) from the list to the left.
Why do our products and services differ based on state? Because our business is regulated by state. We have regulated operations in eight Western and Midwestern states. The different regulatory body for each state we serve determines what products and services we deliver in that state.
Location: South of Earth, Texas.
Plant Description: Plant X is a natural gas-fueled, steam-electric generating station, with four operating units.
Power Production Capability: 412 megawatts (MW): Unit 1 – 38 MW, Unit 2 – 91 MW, Unit 3 – 93 MW, and Unit 4 – 190 MW
Fuel Source: Regional natural gas production with fuel oil as an alternate fuel.
Plant X is the company's oldest major operating plant in the southwestern region. Unit 1 was brought on-line in 1952, Unit 2 was added in 1953, Unit 3 in 1955, and Unit 4 in 1964.
At the time Plant X was being designed, power plants usually were named after their location. No location had been selected, so engineers referred to the plant simply as “Plant X” and the name stuck.
Plant X is one of our cleanest-performing generation plants. In fact, our Energy Supply department awarded the Plant X-Tolk Generating Station complex its environmental traveling trophy for several years of exceptional environmental performance with air, waste, and water.
Plant X is a zero-discharge facility, which means no process waters are discharged from the plant site. Operating in an arid region, we have developed a unique solution to reduce water supplies at two of our facilities, Plant X and nearby Tolk Station. By creating a pipeline to send Plant X blowdown water (used water from plant operations) for recycling and additional fresh water to Tolk Station for treatment, we increased water recovery from Plant X, and eliminated the need for new sludge and disposal ponds and a wastewater treatment system at the facility. As a result, the combined plants’ water consumption was reduced by about 180 million gallons per year.